Friday, July 11, 2008

Ummm...good question.

We have a nosey child.

I know, I know, with our *perfect* parenting, it's hard to believe that one of our offspring would have undesirable traits. Trust me, it baffles me too.

(For those of you that don't know me very well, those last two sentences are dripping with sarcasm).

Anyhoo, Chloe is, well, interested...yes, that's a nice way to say it...she's "interested". She also has a knack for quietly inserting herself next to adults who are in conversation. In fact, this is probably the only time that she is quiet.

Most of the time, I shoo her away while repeating..."Chloe. Stop being nosey, it's rude. We are having an adult conversation, go play". I think I need to record that on a little tape and press play each time...it would save me A LOT of time.

There are times when she manages to "fly under the radar" so to speak, and actually over hears most of the conversation.

Case in point... A few weeks ago, I was talking with a friend at church. My friend is currently trying to get pregnant. Nothing was said that Chloe shouldn't hear, and so, on this rare occasion, she was not shooed away.

Yesterday, I was on the way to my favorite dry cleaner. Forrest, Chloe and Cammie were in the car with me. The kids had been quiet for a complete five minute stretch, which is nothing short of a miracle.

Chloe eventually breaks the silence... "Mommy"? (She says this at least one million, six hundred, seventy-two thousand, four hundred and eighty-three times per day).

Me: "Yes, Chloe"?

Chloe: "How do you try to get pregnant"?

Forrest: snickers loudly and says under his breath "yeah, mom...how do you try to get pregnant"?

Me: "You pray and ask Jesus to put a baby in your tummy".

Chloe: "Oh".

Forrest: " You are good. How do you do that...technically tell the truth without actually saying anything? You didn't even have time to think".

Me: sly grin, basking in the awe of my first born son

2 comments:

Renee Camacho said...

That's GREAT - oh my - laughing out loud!

Brea said...

you did WAY better than me. I always promised myself that if Anna asked and was "of age" I would tell her the truth. Let's face it: mom never had the birds/bees talk with me and well, she should have! So when she asked, we got in the tub together and I told her. It ended with her saying, "WELL, that is JUST disqusting" to which I said, "Yes, IT IS and that's why you don't do that until your wedding night." Now every time the word sex is even mentioned, she gets this vomit look on her face and says yuck under her breath.