Sunday, July 27, 2008

"To sell or not sell"...that is the question

How many consignment sales do you think I have participated in? Not bought things at, sold things in?

How many times do you think I have spent hour upon hour checking outgrown dresses, skirts and shirts for "stains", "piling", "wash wear" or "pin holes"? Then, ironing each of the things that met with approval... making sure to put matching items on the same hanger to sell as "an outfit" because, we all know that "outfits" sell better than say a lone skirt.

Speaking of hangers...how many time do you think I have placed my selected items on hangers facing all the same way, safety pinning my carefully crafted 3x5 index cards on the specified shoulder for maximum ease of reading?

Speaking of those carefully crafted 3x5 index cards...how many times do you think I have filled them out noting manufacturer, size, price, approximate times worn and ND in bold red ink?

I'll cut to the chase. I'm sure most of you that know me are banking on "ZERO"... and you will be surprised to find that I have actually participated in such an undertaking...ONCE, yes ONE time.

Ironing, that was your first clue that it wouldn't happen more than once.

The one time that I did manage to summon the gumption to consign, I made $200.00. All of my clothes sold except for one outfit. Not too bad if I do say so myself.

So, why not consign more often you ask? Did I mention that I had to iron?

No, seriously. I decided to NEVER consign again because (1) It was easier to give the stuff away or (2) sell it to people I know. (3) I spent $256 at the sale bringing me to net -$56 and (4) I had to iron.

Oh, and I need at least a month to mentally prepare for numbers 1 through 4. Usually, when I think about consigning, it's as I am standing in line waiting to pay for the clothes I am buying at the consignment sale.

But (yes, I know that it is improper grammar to begin a sentence with the word "but", but I don't care), I am thinking that I may consign this year.

What's changed, you ask?

Well, for one thing, I thought about it before I was standing in line with fall clothes to pay for. For another thing, I have a TON of stuff to sell and 4 girls to buy for and also because my friend Brea has kept in the forefront of my mind by mentioning her huge consignment sale on her blog several times.

Now, if I can just factor in the cost of having the dry cleaner iron all of it into my selling price, I will be in business.

4 comments:

Brea said...

I have a solution my friend. It's called VIP tagging. It's the only way I get steps 1-4 done. I have a saintly woman Vickie that works for me that will pick up all your lovelies at your house (yes, pick them up), hang them, tag them, press them and she even drops them off for you. Email me. It's the only way to consign in my opinion.

She tags at the speed of light, prices it higher than I would have, and I don't have to do a thing except help her load it in the car and wave a happy little goodbye while I skip back into my empty house. It's a good feeling and trust me, you will never tag another thing after finding saint Vickie!

Linda said...

well, i first have to say that ...you had such a good first experience, I am surprised you haven't done it again. I think that was pretty amazing. Could you iron just kind of sort of, not perfectly? would that help? I consigned years ago when it was baby clothes and no ironing was needed. At this point, I can't even bring myself to have a yard sale. But then again....I don't have kids left to dress....so...perhaps you could hire your kids to iron and then tell them you will buy them some clothes with the money you earn there!

Linda said...

then again, Saint Vickie might be the way to go...wow!

Tammy Batson said...

I'm having my own consignment as well here at the house in September if you want to particpate ... first time since LeAnna was born that I'm getting rid of anything - ever! AhHHHH .... lots of stuff! Let me know ...