Saturday, June 21, 2008

For the record...

Lest you think I am a complete sloth, I thought I should let you know that I actually did some things today.

First, I started in on the mounds and mounds of laundry.

Then, I actually planned meals for the next week and a half. Because, I actually plan on *gasp* cooking.

Next, I went to the grocery. Yes, I braved the Super Wal-Mart. On a Saturday. With everyone else within a 20 mile radius of Hendersonville. (I had to navigate a 9 cart pile-up in the laundry detergent aisle). Have I mentioned that I do not heart Wal-Mart? Or grocery shopping? Or cooking?

To top off my extraordinary day of domesticity, I cooked dinner. Yes, I did. Paula Dean's shrimp creole.

Now, if you click on that little link to see the recipe, you will notice that it is rated as "easy", and the prep time is rated as "5 minutes". Ummm...I don't want to call Paula a liar...because, really I love Paula. I really, really love her fabulous restaurant and I really, really, really love her hoe cakes.

But, it takes a bit more than 5 minutes to chop the celery, bell pepper and onion. And, even when you buy shrimp that is "peeled and deveined", you are bound to get shrimp with that icky, slimy, gross funk down the back...and I assure you that it took way more than 5 minutes to re-devein the deveined shrimp.

2 comments:

Tammy Batson said...

ha! that is great! however ... her handy little chef people in the background that no one sees probably do all that cut up and chopping for her ... so in reality, it probably only takes "her" 5 mintutes! ha! I totally agree with you though ... don't see how that one could be done in 5 ... happy cooking this next week!

Renee Camacho said...

Did you like the creole?