Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Weather and weight loss...

In the weeks leading up to Christmas, I say things like "it's hard to get into Christmas mode when it's 65 degrees outside" and "I wish we would get 4 or 5 inches of snow". I am perfectly happy with cold weather and overcast skies...until New Year's Day.

In my land Spring should occur on January 1. While I know that Winter didn't even officially start until December 20th, it still feels like we should be ushering in sunshine and warmth along with the new year. What's the point in cold weather after the holidays are over? Don't you have that sense that once January arrives "Spring is just around the corner" rather than "Spring is months away". Seriously, when I wake up on January 14th and the temperature outside is 18 degrees, I am momentarily surprised and I feel just a little disgruntled that the warm weather I keep expecting has been kept from me for yet another day. March 20th seems so very far away. Sometimes I rebel by not wearing a coat...ha! Take that Winter! Never mind that I'm the one freezing to death.

Weight loss can be a bit like that for me too.

If I have eaten well for two weeks. And if I've done an hour of cardio plus strength training five days a week for those two weeks. And if I've drank so many bottles of Dasani water that I start to feel guilty about the amount of plastic I am shipping off to the landfill...it seems like on day 15 I should wake up skinny. Right? So when I step on the scale and see that I've only lost 12 pounds, I am momentarily surprised and I fell a whole lot more than a little disgruntled. My goal seems so far away and in the past, this has caused me to rebel...by say eating a Quarter Pounder and washing it down with a large sweet tea with no ice. Fortunately, I realized that I was sabotaging myself...not exacting revenge on my scale for reflecting a frustrating number and I decided to change my rebellious ways.

Hopefully March 20th will bring a much lower number on the scale along with the sunshine and warm weather.

1 comment:

Brea said...

Girl, I am with ya. Hate the cold, hate the fat on my body. Why can't I snap my fingers and wake up a size 4 and it's 62 degrees outside. Maybe if I got my rump off the computer and started getting my heart rate up, I would really be doing something!