Monday, July 30, 2012

Praising Pinterest

                                        



Pinterest...oh how I love thee.

An invite to Pinterest was sent to me about 18 months ago. I signed up. I spent about 10 minutes on the site. I realized that I would actually need to cook something or make something or you know, do something in order to make it worth my time. And I wasn't up for doing much of anything. So, I clicked off and pretty much forgot about the whole business of pinning (which is now a verb).

I would see facebook updates wherein people thanked Pinterest for a recipe or a craft or world peace. I would ignore them...and maybe roll my eyes. Ok, I did quite a bit of eye rolling. I blame my bad attitude on the rain cloud.

Then...once the clouds started rolling out and motivation returned, I figured I should give Pinterest another go. I need recipes. I need mantle-scape ideas. Halloween is right around the corner and I need to decorate. I need crafts in my life. World peace sounds doable!

I am completely addicted.

However, it can't just be a place that sucks my time and ties my bubbly behind to the couch or bed everyday. So, I am starting a little thing I'm going to call "Look what I did"! Because...

  1. I like to share. If I like something, I share. If I don't like something, I share. I'm a sharer.
  2. I need to be tethered so that I'm not sucked into a black hole of time-sucking.
  3. I like to pat my little self on the back every once in awhile...and since I've been beating myself up pretty good for the last year and a half, I think I'm overdue for a little patting.
My first foray into turning a virtual pin into a tangible action was a success. I'll be honest, I went for an easy win.  I made Ranch Pork Chops. 3 whole ingredients not including the can of water. I did go a little crazy with it...I used a packet of Fiesta Ranch instead of plain Ranch. I know, I'm a brave soul.

Hannah helped me whip up some garlic mashed potatoes and the gravy left in the bottom of the crockpot sho- was tasty over the top of them. It was a hit. Mark loved it, his mom loved it, the kids loved it, the chickens that ate the leftovers loved it...mmm hmm. I was/am proud of myself and my three ingredients.

That small win propelled me on. I have made 4 more recipes this week. All winners. All with more than three ingredients.

Which leads me to another segue. I'm going to have another little section on here. A monthly/bi-monthly/whenever-I-feel-like-it posting called Weighty Issues. All this cooking is causing me some concern. I need to be accountable on the weight loss front. Aren't you so excited? Yeah, me too. Not.

Time to meal plan now. Happy pinning!

No comments: