Friday, February 1, 2008

Lost and found...

We are not into TV. If you've ever been to our house, I know that may be hard to believe. Three fairly large television sets would seem to suggest that the inhabitants watch a large amount of TV.

If you count Hannah Montana, Charlie & Lola, and Dora, we are guilty of indulging.

What I'm talking about here though, is actual regular TVviewing... by the adults in the house. And that just doesn't happen very often. Mostly, this is because TV in general is full of garbage.

Mark and I like to watch The O'Reilly Factor a few times a month, we like the auditions of American Idol and then the last 4 or 5 episodes...and that about sums up our TV time.

Two years ago, my friend Amy told me about this show she had heard about. How she had rented the first two seasons and watched them in one weekend, and how much I would like the show.

Now, I understood how someone could get attached to a show...I had that same attachment to Beverly Hills 90210 and Melrose Place back in the day.

Somehow, watching back episodes of the same show hour upon hour in order to "catch up" and be able to understand the current episodes just seemed like too much trouble.

Fast forward two years (that would bring us to last night)...I was sitting on the couch, researching things to do in St. Louis. I had the TV on, watching for school closings (so my poor son didn't stand at the bus stop freezing to death while waiting on a bus that wasn't coming...again).

The news goes off. The show that fills in what had happened in previous seasons comes on.

I found LOST.

Why didn't someone tell me what I've been missing??? (Okay, I know, I was told, why wasn't I told again)???

Mark came in half way through the premier. He smirked when I told him what I was watching. After changing clothes, he plops down on the couch and proceeds to question me about what's happening in the show (thanks to the pre-show, I was able to help fill him in).

So, what's a girl to do when she realizes she is 3 seasons behind? Well, she begins by spending 4 hours on the internet reading the background of each character. Then, she goes out and rents the first 12 episodes. Her husband picks up chinese take-out for dinner and they spend a fabulous evening getting a start on catching up on the last 3 seasons so that they are prepared for next Thursday nights show .